Thursday, December 20, 2007

My First and Last Play

The stage directions were challenging, and still are. I still am not comfortable, really, with doing them consistently. I feel like it doesn't flow as well, but that is just my personal preference. The unpleasant surprises were thinking about how I would do some things in my play on stage, but a couple of them could have been resolved by starting the conflict, and then pulling the curtains and dimming the lights. However, it was still unfortunate that I had trouble with that, because it felt like it was constricting my creativity, which I've never been a fan of. That is one of the reasons I don't like plays so much, or at least writing them (plays are fun to watch actually), I feel like my creativity can't be utilized completely, like I have to limit it in some ways and enhance it in others. I much prefer to write what I feel, what I find funny or entertaining, not necessarily what I think could be portrayed well on a stage.

However, I have helped write a movie script, provided it is just for fun, and is not particularly well written as far as drama goes, but I truly believe it will be hilarious. I should have some time to film it with my partner in crime over break (after the band tour), so hopefully we can make a lot of progress on it. :)

One personal essay that I have always thought about writing is being colorblind. I have written shorter things about it, but never an essay or a paper or something formal like that. I am, however, working it into my stand-up routine that I'm doing for the Cabaret on January 10th, and my audition is actually today. It is something that, when I was younger, I was extremely uncomfortable with, and I felt strange or weird, and so different from everyone else. It seems like before middle school or high school, everyone wants to be the same, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't change that about me, and it bothered me for a long time. The way it was... exposed, also bothered me too. Usually, my Mom would tell all my teachers that I was colorblind, that way I didn't have to answer any questions that I might not know. However, we forgot to tell my 4th grade teacher, Mr. Beverage, and one day during History he asked me a question about different altitudes, or something, on a graph. The graph was color-coded (naturally), with red meaning lower or green meaning higher (or so I was told later). Naturally, I had no idea what to say, and I could only say either "I don't know" and end up looking like I wasn't paying attention, or tell him I was colorblind. I chose the latter. Luckily, recess was right after History, so everyone was asking me what color their shirt was, what color their pants were, what color the grass was and if the sky looked blue. One kid (who shall remain nameless) even asked me if I was colorblind like his dog, hahahah. That's definately my favorite one. Anyways, if you want to hear my stand-up about that, you'll just have to come to the cabaret. However, to finish this up, I have changed a lot since 4th grade. Being colorblind does not bother me in the least, as you can tell from me using it in a stand-up routine, and I make jokes about it all the time. It is fun to think, write and talk about now, so I could definately see myself writing a personal essay about being colorblind. But the stand-up will be tons funnier. ;)

Well, as I referred too in the answer to the second question, I would have to say that (to a 10 year old), you should do your best to be original. Everyone wants to be the same in elementary school, but how boring would that be? As you get older, you will realize you are original, and not try to be the same as everyone else. I would definately suggest that, because it makes life more interesting, and makes you, as a person, more interesting. Just about everyone I know has embraced this, which makes me think it is more than common, but it is a transition that I think everyone should make.

3 comments:

Mr. Miles said...

Tom, your colorblind story would be a really good one to use in your personal essay. Remind me when Cabaret comes up; I'd like to see you do stand-up. My sister did stand up for a number of years, though she stopped when she had her baby.

I liked what you said about play when you wrote "like I have to limit it in some ways and enhance it in others." I don't necessarily think of plays as limiting creativity, but there are limits in some ways (and more opportunities in others).

NAT said...

Thats sweet about the colorblindness! Thats something different that you don't see everyday and i'm jealous! I agree with you that is is my first and last play ! good blog!

NAT

Sarah's Blog said...

aww.... precious!!!! and that's awesome about being colorblind. Good luck with your audition and I can't wait to see your act!